Oct 15, 2010

Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares

7741325Released: October 26, 2010

Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares
Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
Hardcover; 272 pages
KNOPF
“I’ve left some clues for you.
If you want them, turn the page.
If you don’t, put the book back on the shelf, please.”

So begins the latest whirlwind romance from the New York Times bestselling authors of Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist. Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a favorite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares. But is Dash that right guy? Or are Dash and Lily only destined to trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations across New York? Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions? Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions?

Rachel Cohn and David Levithan have written a love story that will have readers perusing bookstore shelves, looking and longing for a love (and a red notebook) of their own.

Brent’s opinion of the novel:
     My feelings for this book could easily take up 2,000 words. But they could also take up 3 words, easily. I loved it. Both Rachel Cohn and David Levithan are fabulous writers, and their October release, Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares, continued that fabulosity.  They do many things so well, it’s hard to say why I loved it. I just did. The setting, though, comes to mind, first.
     Cohn and Levithan do setting so, so well. In each of their novels, the setting almost becomes a character, in and of itself. Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares is set in Manhattan, and they write it in a way where it’s the most beautiful place I’ve ever read about. Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares is a trip through the most fun, intimate book stores in The City. The Strand! Ah, you lucky book people in The City. And the two main characters! You’ll love them.
      The book opens with Dash, spending his Christmas break parent-free and wandering through The City. In The Strand, he finds a red moleskin notebook. Opening it, he reads a list of dares, leading him to Lily, a single girl  looking for a boyfriend (oh, honey, aren’t we all). Dash and Lily pass the notebook back and forth through The City, completing each other’s dares. (Like, rubbing Pedophile Santa’s belly. Uhm, BYE! I wouldn’t do that for NOBODY!) Throughout the book, Dash and Lily are brought together through these crazy dares.
      It’s just so so so so so so so CUH-YUTE—the romance!  Reading Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares, I felt like the best friend hooking them up. The alternating chapters made me feel intimate and close to both Dash and Lily. Their voices were distinct, and spoke loudly to me. They both had their issues, and they both had their quirks. They just belonged together! I can’t really go into more detail about them without giving you the whole book, so you just have to read it. 
     Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares was a wonderful novel, that really got me both in the mood for Christmas and a boyfriend. <—Lucky ducks, Dash and Lily.

8 comments:

BookChic said...

Great review! I loved this book too and think it's the best of the Cohn/Levithan collection. I hope they continue to write books together!

Aylee said...

I loved Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. This looks great, too!

Becca C. said...

SO so so excited for this one! David Levithan has been my favourite author for years now, and I'm sure that won't change anytime soon!

Writer said...

I loved Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, so I will definitely pick this one up too. Thanks for the review: I probably would've missed the book altogether.

Melina said...

This sounds awesome. It's the Boy Meets Boy author. I read that one after you suggested it.

janettrumble said...

So glad you're finally on the Cohn/Levithan party wagon! Dash & Lily reminds me a little of Jay Asher's 13 Reasons--the format, that is. Can't wait to read it. BTW, your blog looks beautiful!

Magemanda said...

Wonderful review! Made me dash straight to Amazon and pop it on my wishlist :-)

Lesley said...

Oooo, I haven't heard of this book but it sounds really cute. Or are you say CUH-YUTE ;)
I think I might have to put this on my wishlist, great review!