Jan 4, 2011

If you liked Gossip Girl...

7812107Published January 4, 2011

Slice of Cherry | Dia Reeves

Simon Pulse

Hardcover | 512 pp.
Kit and Fancy Cordelle are sisters of the best kind: best friends, best confidantes, and best accomplices. The daughters of the infamous Bonesaw Killer, Kit and Fancy are used to feeling like outsiders, and that’s just the way they like it. But in Portero, where the weird and wild run rampant, the Cordelle sisters are hardly the oddest or most dangerous creatures around.
It’s no surprise when Kit and Fancy start to give in to their deepest desire—the desire to kill. What starts as a fascination with slicing open and stitching up quickly spirals into a gratifying murder spree. Of course, the sisters aren’t killing just anyone, only the people who truly deserve it. But the girls have learned from the mistakes of their father, and know that a shred of evidence could get them caught. So when Fancy stumbles upon a mysterious and invisible doorway to another world, she opens a door to endless possibilities….
Brent’s opinion of the novel:
     Dia Reeves is so cool.  But even cooler than her?  Her books.  I read her debut, BLEEDING VIOLET, last year, and the whole time I kept thinking to myself I wonder how many drugs I’d have to take before becoming as creative as Dia. SLICE OF CHERRY, Dia’s sophomore novel, brought me back to that question!
     In SLICE OF CHERRY, it’s summertime, and the Cordelle sisters are bored.  So what do they do to pass the time?  No, they don’t go for a swing at the park or out for ice-cream cones.  They torture people, go on a killing spree.  That doesn’t come as a surprise, Kit and Fancy are daughters of Portero’s most notorious murderer—Bonesaw Killer.  The girls are extra super careful, realizing that they could get caught, just like their father.  Their lives get even more complicated/exciting when the Turner brothers start to catch an eye for them…
     So  it’s basically a gory story about two sisters having a tea party and killing a lot people.  Don’t read it if you’re a baby. 
     Dia’s world-building is the best.  I love the setting she’s created—the town of Portero.  It’s the most, random, creepy, magical, weirdest place I’ve read about,  and you best believe I’d love to visit on a field-trip. 
     Besides Portero, know what else I loved?  The sisters, Kit and Fancy.  It was so interesting, reading into their relationship.  I loved seeing how the sisters evened each other out.  Fancy seemed to be the almost-sane one, while Kit was just off-the-charts psychotic.  
     What I love so much about Dia Reeves’s writing is that it’s never dull.  I promise, while reading SLICE OF CHERRY, you will never be bored.  There’s always either a murder going on, someone getting cut, blood splattering against curtains, or girls being chased by transies. (There are demons in Portero, called transies. Yeah, kinda freaky if you ask me.)  She writes sharp dialogue and fucking awesome descriptions. 
      If you’re a fan of Gossip Girl, or, say,  any other super-girly-sunshine books,  you’re gonna love SLICE OF CHERRY. (I’m totally kidding.)

8 comments:

Terra Mae said...

I can't wait to get this book today!!!!! I lvoe Dia's writing!!!

Lena said...

LOL! Brent, you're so funny! This sounds like Dexter on crack. I'm checking it out. Thanks for the awesome review. :)

Colene Murphy said...

Been looking forward to this one for so long! Can't wait to get it. Awesome! I almost didn't click when I read the Gossip Girl part! Couldn't figure out for the life of me how you connected the two ;)

Lisa_Gibson said...

You're so funny! I love reading your reviews. I'm definitely going to pick this one up. Thanks for the review. :)
Lisa ~ YA Literature Lover

BookChic said...

I can't wait to read this cuz I loved Bleeding Vioiet. Also, the summary sounds a bit like the play/movie Arsenic and Old Lace, except with more torture. It sounds interesting. Great review!

Alex Bennett said...

I will definitely be reading the copy you gifted me soon :)

Melina said...

Nice review. And I must be a baby because it might be a bit too creepy/scary for me.

Briana said...

Sweet! I think I'd love this. It kinda sounds like this one show my cousin told me about on HBO. Supposedly this guy goes around killing people, but like the two sisters in "Slice of Cherry", only people that really deserve it. I'm going to have to put this one on the wish list for sure!