Mar 3, 2011

666 Park Avenue

8479792Published February 1st, 2011

666 Park Avenue | Gabriella Pierce

William Morrow Books

Paperback | 320 pp.
What if your mother-in-law turned out to be an evil, cold-blooded witch . . . literally?
Ever since fabulously wealthy Malcolm Doran walked into her life and swept her off her feet, fledgling architect Jane Boyle has been living a fairy tale. When he proposes with a stunning diamond to seal the deal, Jane can't believe her incredible luck and decides to leave her Paris-based job to make a new start with Malcolm in New York.
But when Malcolm introduces Jane to the esteemed Doran clan, one of Manhattan's most feared and revered families, Jane's fairy tale takes a darker turn. Soon everything she thought she knew about the world—and herself—is upended. Now Jane must struggle with newfound magical abilities and the threat of those who will stop at nothing to get them.
Brent’s opinion of the novel:
     I like paranormal books.  I also like chick-lit-y books set in New York City.  666 PARK AVENUE seemed like the perfect read for me!   The minute it popped on my doorstep I started reading it—well, more like two minutes.  I took a few seconds to admire the artsy cover and different-feeling texture.
     Jane Boyle lives the life you wish you had.  She has a sweet apartment in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, a promising career, and a fabulous best friend to help her trek through Paris nightclubs.  The only thing is:  Her parents are dead.  She feels empty without them.  And the emptiness is so heavy, she’s never happy.
     Until Malcolm Doran, an uber-hot art dealer who belongs on the cover of a romance novel shirtless, waltzes into her sex life.  He’s so good in bed  He’s sweetly charming, ultra rich, and smotheringly hot.  When Malcolm asks her to marry him, she says yes without any hesitation.  (I mean, who’d say no to a rock that huge?)  After quitting her job and telling her grandmother and friends au revoir, she leaves Paris for her new start in New York City with her new fiancĂ©. 
     Bubbling with excitement, Jane practically skips into Malcolm’s lush Manhattan house that he shares with his family.  She wants to impress them so bad, to get into their group and finally feel like she has a family again.  Too bad they’re not what she hoped.  They’re fear-inducing, revering, and most of all, witchy.  Everything she knew about the world is proved wrong once she finds out that she’s a witch—just like the Doran family.  And soon, instead of planning a wedding, she’s fighting to keep her magical abilities from getting stolen by the family that will stop at nothing to get them.
     666 PARK AVENUE was the bomb.  I read it in computer apps, and it totally saved me from absolute boredom.  Every page was delightful, and I felt more and more for Jane as the book went on.  I’ll be honest:  There were times I wanted to call her out.  “HONEY. What da eff are you doing?”  Some of things she did were unbelievable, like quitting her jobs and moving across the ocean in a matter of weeks . . . but overall she was a very likable character that I easily fell into sync with.
     With a breathless ending that hints at a sequel, 666 PARK AVENUE is a thrilling read.  It’s not like genius or beautifully aesthetic or anything like that, but it is insanely enjoyable.  Think Real Housewives of Atlanta meets The Vampire Diaries.

5 comments:

Tere Kirkland said...

This sounds like a fun, quirky read. I love witch books, too. I haven't read a fun book in a while, so thanks for the recc, Brent!

Saliym said...

That RHOA and Vampire Diaries analogy was hilarious. In fact, this whole review was ridiculously enjoyable. You've got yourself a new devoted follower :)

The Slowest Bookworm said...

You convinced me. I just hopped over to Amazon and downloaded it for my Kindle. Thought I'd better pop back and tell you :D

Anonymous said...

That sounds awesome! I just ordered it from Amazon- Thanks for the review!

Pam said...

You've convinced me love, reading this next.