Mar 16, 2011

WITHER by Lauren DeStefano

8525590Published 3/22/11

Wither | Lauren DeStefano

S&S BFYR

Hardcover | 368 pp.
What if you knew exactly when you would die?
Thanks to modern science, every human being has become a ticking genetic time bomb—males only live to age twenty-five, and females only live to age twenty. In this bleak landscape, young girls are kidnapped and forced into polygamous marriages to keep the population from dying out.
When sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery is taken by the Gatherers to become a bride, she enters a world of wealth and privilege. Despite her husband Linden's genuine love for her, and a tenuous trust among her sister wives, Rhine has one purpose: to escape—to find her twin brother and go home.
But Rhine has more to contend with than losing her freedom. Linden's eccentric father is bent on finding an antidote to the genetic virus that is getting closer to taking his son, even if it means collecting corpses in order to test his experiments. With the help of Gabriel, a servant Rhine is growing dangerously attracted to, Rhine attempts to break free, in the limited time she has left.
Brent’s opinion of the novel:
     If WITHER were a person, I’d marry it.  I am so obsessed/crazed/in love with this book, I suspect that Lauren DeStefano and S&S are in the works of getting a restraining order against me. 
     If you’re one of those superficial bitches  people who buy books just for their covers, WITHER is perfect for you.  If you’re one of those people who buy books just because the first opening lines are fantastic, this book is perfect for you.  If you’re one of those people who buy books just because the Naughty Kitties tell you to, this book is especially perfect for you. 
     Basically, everyone should buy it.  Because it is awesome and great and beautiful and the Naughty Kitties are filled with WITHER love.
    WITHER is about what happens to our government and society when scientists fuck everything up and the life-expectancy rate drops tremendously.  Males live until they’re 25.  Women, 20. Everything collapses.  People steal, kill, and fight to survive.  Things explode.  People become homeless.  Children go hungry.
     Girls are captured and sold into polygamous marriages, for the purpose of boosting up the shattered population. 
     That’s what happens to Rhine Ellery, on a night out in dystopic Manhattan.  The Gatherers take her, along with two others young girls, to a sprawling Florida mansion.  Most people would enjoy that, right?  Florida, wealth, weather.  But there are locks on the doors.  Rhine, along with the other two girls, is forced to marry the seemingly genuine Linden. 
     Rhine is expected to spend the rest of her life in complacent silence, bearing Linden’s children and acting accordingly in public.  But Rhine isn’t like most girls, and has a stubbornness that will, in the end, save her.
     WITHER is about what happens when a girl forced into a polygamous marriage and introduced to a life of wealth and luxury falls in love with the servant boy…
     My favorite thing of all about WITHER is Lauren DeStefano’s writing.  It’s more beautiful than the cover (and that’s a pretty damn beautiful cover).  It was the cover that got me interested in the book.  It was the summary that made me read the book.  It was the first page that made me continue reading it.  It was the writing and flawless storyline that made me love it.  WITHER has a spot on my favorites’ shelf.

Rating:  5 out of 5 stars

15 comments:

Zoraida said...

sounds shiny!

and by shiny, i mean awesome.

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

I loved the first chapter of Wither! It made me want to keep reading! Great review!

Kate said...

Was there a winner for your giveaway of this book and I totally missed it? I'm dying to read this book now!

Mundie Moms said...

Awesome review! I can not wait to get this book. I've heard nothing but great things about it.

Mundie Moms said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BookChic said...

I'm getting ready to post my review of this! I absolutely loved it and I can't wait to read the rest of the trilogy and more from Lauren. Great review!

Honey said...

Awesome review Brent! Wither was amazing, can't wait for the next one!

Cadentia said...

So many bloggers talking so well about this book, I must read it then (although right now I'm not in a mood for dystopies).

Vy said...

Wow I'm definitely getting this book now after reading such a strong review like this one.

Jen (Makeshift Bookmark) said...

GOD, YES. This book made my life sparkle & shine for a few days. Albeit the sparkling was a result of sad glitter, because this was a depressing book amidst all the pretty and yummyness within. I realize that doesn't make sense. It's way too early for me to be commenting.

As always, I loved your review because IT IS TRUE. Every word.

Liz said...

I can't wait to read this one. Thanks for the review!

Madigan McGillicuddy said...

Terrific review!

I too, have been completely obsessed with this book. Obsessed. What can I say, dystopian + luxury + arranged marriages = total book success for me. It's lucky that Lauren DeStafano didn't add mind readers or wizards or dragons (my other three favorite things) or my heart would have exploded.

I would say that I'd battle you for rights to marry it, but, with all your Twitter love for it, you'd probably win. We can probably marry it polygamously, right??

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

Ha! well this cover certainly satisfies the superficial bitch in me, i've had my eye on this for a while :) glad to know you liked it, it seems i've only hear positive things! march 22 come faster....

Anja Kasap said...

Hi, love your blog! I dropped by through the Hop. I added this book to my list to read. I'm a new follower too :)

Novels On The Run said...

Hi ,

My copy is in the mail..*taps foot*. I've been looking forward to reading Wither for ages. Your review was great . It confirmed that it is a brilliant book. Only problem is once I read it I will want book 2...don't you just hate the waiting:D


Michelle