Apr 29, 2011

ILLUSIONS by Aprilynne Pike

6918909Published 5/3/11

Illusions | Aprilynne Pike

Series: Wings, #3

HarperTeen

Hardcover | 375 pp.
Laurel hasn't seen Tamani since she begged him to let her go last year. Though her heart still aches, Laurel is confident that David was the right choice.

But just as life is returning to normal, Laurel discovers that a hidden enemy lies in wait. Once again, Laurel must turn to Tamani to protect and guide her, for the danger that now threatens Avalon is one that no faerie thought would ever be possible. And for the first time, Laurel cannot be sure that her side will prevail.
Brent’s opinion of the novel:
Way back before Naughty Kitties was a twinkle in my eye, before I even thought about starting up a book blog, I loved Aprilynne Pike’s WINGS series. I remember picking it up at the bookstore and wondering whether or not to get it, whether or not it was just another one of those faerie books. I ended up buying it (I’ll admit, the blurb from Stephenie Meyer won me over), and %^#$ING DEVOURING IT.

I was so so so so so pumped to get my hands on ILLUSIONS, the third book in the WINGS series! The last book left me breathless and eager to see where Laurel’s journeys through love and war would end up. Tamani or David. Faerie life or human life. That seems to be the question Laurel is trying so hard to answer throughout the entire series.

ILLUSIONS picks up at the start of Laurel’s senior year. She just got back from spending the entire summer in Avalon, and is ready to return to her normal, teenage life (if she even has one…) Laurel is eager to spend what is supposed to be the best year of high school with her boyfriend, David.

Until Tamani, her sorta-ex-hot-faerie-boyfriend shows up. With Tamani also comes bad news about Avalon and the war with trolls about to take place, and complications with her relationship with David. Oh, being a teenager is SO HARD.

In the first two books, I was split between David and Tamani. I thought both were equally fit for Laurel. But in ILLUSIONS, I found myself slowly drifting towards Team Tamani. With each chapter it seemed like he got more handsome, more sweet, more caring, and more passionate about Laurel. In other words: TEAM TAMANI, SUCKAS.

ILLUSIONS, just like the two previous books in the series, was perfectly paced. Aprilynne Pike has this way of slowly dragging you into her stories. She’ll hook you with a pretty description, and then you’ll be hung up on her writing by the time she gets to the fast-paced action and tension scenes. ILLUSIONS is a book that colors your face with both smiles and worry lines.

If you haven’t already, I highly recommend you read this series! Aprilynne Pike writes these crazy addictive novels with a fresh take on faerie folklore, and you’ll be some impressed with the world she’s built. (And if you do, be sure and come back here and comment, telling me who you’re rooting for: David or Tamani!) (Team Tamani, FTW!) (David’s a loser.) (Okay, that was mean. He’s not really a loser. Just not as hot as Tamani.) (Yeah. HOT TAMANI WHO MAY OR MAY NOT SPARKLE.)

8 comments:

Liviania said...

I still need to read SPELLS. I've owned it forever without cracking it open.

proseandkahn said...

Hi Brent! I'm on board for Illustions and it was nice to read your review. I must say, though, that I did not love Spells. I found Wings wonderful, refreshing and really loved Laurel. In Spells, she kinda lost her spunk and got all swooney and indecisive. To me. The end picked up a bit. I'm Team Tam as well.

brenda

Melina said...

I really need to read this series. Really.

BookChic said...

I still need to read Spells too, but both are in my TBR so I'll get on them soon. Great review!!

Anonymous said...

I'm Team Tamani. I have been the whole series; there's something... off with David.

Anonymous said...

Im team david!! Idk tamani is like hawt? or whatever but I still think david has been with her through everything without the obligaton of ACTUALLY having to.... so DAVID FTW!!! =)

Tiffany said...

New follower :) I loved this book too and I COMPLETELY agree about Tamani. I've actually always liked him though...David always bored me.

I wrote a post about love triangles in Illusions if you're interested.

Anonymous said...

I am definately on the Tamani band wagon...there is something so heartwarming about thier history..he waited for her since infancy...He's the one!