Apr 25, 2011

INVINCIBLE SUMMER by Hannah Moskowitz

8105542Released 4/19/11

Invincible Summer | Hannah Moskowitz

Simon Pulse

Paperback | 269 pp.
Noah’s happier than I’ve seen him in months. So I’d be an awful brother to get in the way of that. It’s not like I have some relationship with Melinda. It was just a kiss. Am I going to ruin Noah’s happiness because of a kiss?
Across four sun-kissed, drama-drenched summers at his family’s beach house, Chase is falling in love, falling in lust, and trying to keep his life from falling apart. But some girls are addictive....
Not your typical beach read.
Brent’s opinion of the novel:
It is a truth universally acknowledged that girls with the last name “Moskowitz” write intense and powerful books. Whenever you see the name, expect a gritty and truthful story of  love, lust, and the complex relationships between family members. Hannah Moskowitz dominated me with her debut novel, BREAK, and again with INVINCIBLE SUMMER.

Across four summers, four family vacations, the McGills slowly starts to fall apart. Maybe it’s because there’re too many dang kids running around like chickens with their heads chopped off and making the parents contemplate putting a gun to the head. Or maybe it’s because Chase is falling in love with his older brother’s girlfriend.

Moskowitz books are THE #$%^. They grip you, tug you into the story. They’re real. They’re truthful. They’re a bittersweet mix of ugly/pretty. Hannah writes these characters that you feel like are part of your family, and that are so easy to relate to your heart gets torn out every time something bad happens. Chase was this lost boy working so hard to keep his family from falling apart, looking for love, or some other meaningful emotion . . . too bad he found it in his brother’s girlfriend.

INVINCIBLE SUMMER is not your typical beach read. Don’t pack it in your bag and take it to the pool, expecting some fluff about summer and love and paradise. It’s much more than that.

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

PS – I fucking love Hannah Moskowitz.  She's my absolute best twitter friend and idol, and tweets about magic gay fish.

2 comments:

ZoeAlea said...

*dances* I love this book with every effing fiber of my being. I couldn't agree with your review more. It is a fantastic review.
IS is in my top 5 favorite books, it may even be my favorite book.
Also- magic gay fish UNITE.

Alex Bennett from Electrifying Reviews said...

This book is totally incredible. I loved it!