May 3, 2011

MOONGLASS by Jessi Kirby

41QDX1Yc-VLPublished 5/3/11

Moonglass | Jessi Kirby

Simon & Schuster

Hardcover | 224 pp.
From Jessi Kirby, a debut novel about confronting the past in order to move ahead.
I read once that water is a symbol for emotions. And for a while now, I've thought maybe my mother drowned in both.
Anna's life is upended when her father accepts a job transfer the summer before her junior year. It's bad enough that she has to leave her friends and her life behind, but her dad is moving them to the beach where her parents first met and fell in love- a place awash in memories that Anna would just as soon leave under the surface.
While life on the beach is pretty great, with ocean views and one adorable lifeguard in particular, there are also family secrets that were buried along the shore years ago. And the ebb and flow of the ocean's tide means that nothing- not the sea glass that she collects on the sand and not the truths behind Anna's mother's death- stays buried forever.
Brent’s opinion of the novel:
There’s something about beach reads that get me every time. I love heading to beach (vicariously) with a great set of characters. I love the sand, the bon fires, the flip flops, and the ice cream. There’s nothing better than reading about that cute boy down the beach. I’m always on the lookout for books that capture everything summer is perfectly—and I squee every time I find one! MOONGLASS is one of those books.

Anna spent her childhood on the beach, scraping through the sand with her mother to find little bits of sea glass. But that was until her mother drowned herself in the ocean.

Ten years later, when Anna’s all grown, she returns to the beach of her childhood with her father. Anna makes friends, falls in love, and learns more about her mother’s death than she ever thought possible.

Jessi Kirby hooked me with the very first page of MOONGLASS. Her writing is so, so beautiful—I had to keep reading. I was sucked into Anna’s story as Jessi Kirby slowly unfolded all her grief and emotions.
Anna’s love interest is pretty . . . uh . . . not likable at first. Tyler is cocky, over-confident, and just a little arrogant. At the very beginning of the novel, I didn’t get why Anna liked him at all. But with each chapter, I understood more and more why they were a perfect fit for each other. By the end, I think I was a bit jealous of Anna.

Read MOONGLASS because it’s almost summer. Read MOONGLASS because it will make you tear up. Read MOONGLASS because Jessi Kirby is a superb writer who perfectly captures a summer that changes a girl’s life. Read MOONGLASS because the cover is pretty. Read it for whatever reasons. You’ll love it.

Related: The dude on the cover of MOONGLASS has a real nice butt.

5 comments:

Elise said...

OK, I'm in. You make the book sound fantastic, and I'm a sucker for the beach too.

As for the butt, I need an image that's not so dark. Clearly I'll have to buy the book to check out the cover up close and personal.

Melina said...

Perfect.

Vy (Vy's Blog) said...

I just got this book after reading your review and now I can't wait to read it! This sounds like an emotional summer read. :)

BookChic said...

Yes, the guy's butt is very nice. Overall, he looks like a hottie. We must track him down.

Anyway, back to the actual book, lol. I'm getting ready to read this soon so I'm glad to hear you like it. I'm now even more excited to read it.

DJ's Life in Fiction said...

I'm so glad you liked this book! I'm hoping to pick up a copy soon and have been looking forward to it for a while.