Jun 7, 2011

blood red road by moira young

June 7th, 2011

Blood Red Road | Moira Young

Margaret K. McElderry

Hardcover | 512 pp.

Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back.

Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.

Blood Red Road has a searing pace, a poetically minimal writing style, violent action, and an epic love story. Moira Young is one of the most promising and startling new voices in teen fiction.

Brent’s opinion of the novel:
I cannot adequately blog about BLOOD RED ROAD. I loved it far too much to write a review that says more than, “OMG, OMG, AMAZING.” BLOOD RED ROAD is a unique dystopian story about a girl fighting to save the ones she loves, all the while guiding her entire civilization through a revolution. BLOOD RED ROAD completely blew my mind. This isn’t one of my favorite dystopian story—it’s one of my favorite stories, period. I like to call it “literary dystopian.”

Where to start. One of the many things that makes BLOOD RED ROAD stand out is the writing. The jacket copy calls it “poetically minimal,” and it is just that. It’s a poetry/prose hybrid, and it is genius. When I first started reading I was like, “the fuck? grammar?” but then I immediately fell in love with it. There’s nothing I love more than when an author’s writing style matches their story.

Also, I should mention: the plot and pacing will keep you up all night. You’ll finally fall asleep (with the book in your lap) at 5am, only to wake up at 6:30 because you dreamt too hard about what was going to happen next in the story. Luckily, I read this over winter break, and didn’t have to worry about anything. You know, there’s a reason Simon & Schuster made this a summer release! With no homework to worry about doing, you can read BLOOD RED ROAD all day long.

Since December, I have read this book twice. No joke. Each time I flip it open just to glance and remember how in love I was, I get sucked back into the story and end up reading the whole 400 pages over again.

BLOOD RED ROAD put that deep and wrenching nervous feeling in my stomach that didn’t go away until I flipped the last page. 

1,000,000,000,000,000,000/5 stars

Read the first chapter here.

4 comments:

Bella (Obsessed!) said...

"When I first started reading I was like, “the fuck? grammar?” but then I immediately fell in love with it." HeHe, you always crack me up!! :D

This book sounds wonderful. I had it from the S&S Galley Grab ... but it expired today ... *headdesk* ... definitely sounds like it's worth buying, though. Thanks for a wonderfully enthusiastic review!! (",)

Cynthia said...

I think I will definitely be spending the money I shouldn't be spending(because I'm broke) on this one. I love writing that feels poetic and this one sounds amazing. I really want something that will keep me up all night, it's been a while since I had one of those. Great review! =)

Ashley said...

Love this review! And I agree, this book was amazing! I loved it & while I've only read it all once, there are certain parts I've read 3 or 4 times. :)

Cialina at Muggle-Born.net said...

LOVED this book as well. At first, I didn't think I could stand the writing... but after a while, I loved how I could hear Saba's voice in my head. So good. THIS is how dystopia should be written!!! :)