Jun 29, 2012

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

128515385/14/12
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
Disney*Hyperion
Hardcover/343pp.
Oct. 11th, 1943—A British spy plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France. Its pilot and passenger are best friends. One of the girls has a chance at survival. The other has lost the game before it's barely begun.
When “Verity” is arrested by the Gestapo, she's sure she doesn’t stand a chance. As a secret agent captured in enemy territory, she’s living a spy’s worst nightmare. Her Nazi interrogators give her a simple choice: reveal her mission or face a grisly execution.
As she intricately weaves her confession, Verity uncovers her past, how she became friends with the pilot Maddie, and why she left Maddie in the wrecked fuselage of their plane. On each new scrap of paper, Verity battles for her life, confronting her views on courage and failure and her desperate hope to make it home. But will trading her secrets be enough to save her from the enemy?
Harrowing and beautifully written, Elizabeth Wein creates a visceral read of danger, resolve, and survival that shows just how far true friends will go to save each other. Code Name Verity is an outstanding novel that will stick with you long after the last page.
I picked up this book because everyone I know that had read it loved it. Like seriously loved it. I’m not usually into historical fiction, but I am into friendship stories. This is a friendship story and also so much more.

The voice is perfect. Oh, is the voice perfect. The narrator (whom you will get to know by many different names) is feisty and full of life and resistance and she is compassionate and ruthless and I want to fucking be her. She is admirable and smart and has all the dignity in the world and is a great storyteller and can outwit the most cunning people. She is fun and she is serious, all in one. As soon as I started reading I though I want her to be my friend but now she is my friend, she is my friend in that book and I will reread it over and over and go back to her. OH VERITY, I WILL GO BACK TO YOU.

The plotting is well-crafted. There are minor twists that catapult the story into different directions, but the focus remains in place.

Describing Code Name Verity is the hardest thing I’ve done all summer. I can tell you it is historical and it is about war and it is about friends, but perfect and flawless and brilliant and beautiful are simpler and better words.

*

“KISS ME, HARDY. Kiss me, QUICK.”

10 comments:

Bookworm1858 said...

I had so much trouble writing my review for this book because I love it so much-favorite read so far this year and highly recommended to everyone!

Liviania said...

Writing about the books everyone else is writing about is so hard.

I can't wait to read this one.

Briana said...

So happy I got a copy of this at BEA! :) Everyone is raving about it and I can't wait to read it!

Matthew MacNish said...

Is this an adult novel? Not that it really matters. Sounds excellent.

♥Iffath said...

Everybody I know loved this book! Great review, I really need to read this already :)

Karen said...

Everyone is saying the exact same thing. My mother in law just read this and told me I had to get to it soon.

proseandkahn said...

Hey Brent! I too adored Code Name Verity and haven't been able to do justice to it yet on my blog. Still thinking on it. I read it with my ears and nearly ran off the road several times: twice from the tears blurring my vision and three times from the twists. Truly unique. Nice write-up.

brenda

Cialina at Muggle-Born.net said...

Wow, since when did your blog look different???

And it makes me sad that Verity and I just didn't click. I didn't fall in love with this book like everyone else did. :/ Meh.

We Heart YA said...

Another gushing review to convince us to check this out. And your opinion weighs even heavier than most, since we often agree with your taste!

Musings in Red said...

I hadn't heard about this book before, but it sounds sensational! I don't read historical fiction often. Probably for the same reason I don't read Sci-Fi often. It's hard to find a real page turner. But this one looks great!

I work at B&N, so I shall peruse our shelves and hopefully find it! :)

Thanks for the great post! :)